The chapel in Mathonex
- This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Dedicated to St. John the Gospeller, the chapel was founded in 1656.
It was demolished by a rockfall in the late 19th century and rebuilt in 1901 on a spur of rock overlooking the Giffre Valley, a short distance from the village.
Below the chapel, on the side of the path, is a shrine built in 1747. Its magnificent statue of the Virgin Mary was stolen a few years ago.