This alpine chapel was built in the 17th century by a local resident. It was a cause of conflict between the inhabitants of the village and the monks.
The chapel of Vercland's hamlet in Samoëns was founded in 1626 on communal land, by a local resident, Pierre Vaisy: "as much for him as for his son Claude and his descendants". It is dedicated to the Conception of Notre-Dame and to Saint-Symphorien. Verclands' hamlet, is dedicated to the Conception of Notre-Dame and to Saint-Symphorien. Vercland's hamlet is a historic landmark of the stonecutters of Haute-Savoie and also the birthplace of the first ski lifts. This hamlet has had an animated history, as has its chapel. This religious building has been the source of conflicts and lawsuits between the inhabitants of the village and the monks of the collegiate church in Samoëns.
The cost of founding the chapel (10,000 ancient pounds) is significant and obliges the serving rector to reside on-site and to teach the youth. Previously in the form of an oratory limited to the present choir, this chapel was enlarged in 1721. At the beginning of the century, it was the purpose of a procession in August, days before the Ascension, where the wheat was given.
Today, this chapel is also used for the Reformed cult. A cult that has no temple in the Haut-Giffre valley.
The association "Les amis des chapelles" (Friends of the chapels), a non-profit-making association under the law of 1901, carries out various activities to raise funds. This enables the community to maintain and renovate these buildings, which are part of the historical, cultural, and religious heritage of the Haute-Savoie region. They also organize guided tours of the monument in winter and summer. To discover the Savoyard hamlet, its chapel, and its surroundings, as well as the other hamlets in the commune of Samoëns, partial signposted circuits (yellow signposts), have been created.
Animaux acceptés : Non
Animaux acceptés avec supplément : Non
All year round, daily.
Repère plan : I6