The chapel was built in 1679. Demolished during the same year amid disputes relating to pastureland boundaries, it was rebuilt in 1986, exactly as it was, and becomes a pilrimage venue every September.
The story behind this chapel goes as far back as 1313, when the villages of Les Gets, Taninges and Samoêns decided to define the boundaries of their respective territories. On the fringes of the Loex plateau, there was disagreement over an area of land known as the "Sax de Jacquiert Curt" which was claimed by all 3 villages. That was the start of a legal battle which lasted... 366 years! In 1679 the court ruling placed the village boundaries in the middle of the famous parcel. Thinking the dispute was settled, the village of Les Gets decided to build a chapel on the part that fell within its territory and a mason from Samoëns began the construction work in June 1679. During the night between 14th and 15th August of that same year, the chapel, close to completion, was demolished by disputers who have never been identified. The chapel's remains were discovered in the sixties by National Forestry officers, following which, the mayors of Les Gets, Taninges and Verchaix suggested the chapel be rebuilt. The population rallied around and the current chapel of Jacquicourt was built between 1986 and 1989 on the foundations of the 1679 version, thus bringing a 600-year conflict to its conclusion.
Animaux acceptés : Non
Animaux acceptés avec supplément : Non
- Picnic area
Free of charge.
Type de clientèle
- Mountain bikers