This 12th-century abbey is currently being restored for conversion into an environmental and cultural information centre. It belongs to the municipality of Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval and the Department of Haute-Savoie.
The abbey's various buildings were constructed in 1144. Ponce de Faucigny became the first abbot of this monastery ruled by Saint Augustin's order, as were the Abondance and Saint-Maurice d'Agaune monasteries of Valais.
The abbey established the foundations of agropastoralism, allowing many generations of Savoie-dwellers living in harsh conditions to gradually adapt to necessary developments. Relations between the abbey and the villagers were complex. Although they did not clear the valley as it is often thought, the canons did at least contribute to its enhancement. Sold as national property, the cloistral buildings were partly acquired by Albanis Beaumont, an engineer who wanted to relaunch the mining activity. The other part remained the property of the Cochet innkeepers who, in 1821, boasted "the region's best inn". Purchased at the end of the 19th century by the Rannaud family, the abbey then became the Hôtel du Fer à Cheval et de l'Abbaye. The abbatial structure was acquired by the Department in the year 2000.
Art and culture section of the council of the Department of Haute-Savoie
Animaux acceptés : Non
Animaux acceptés avec supplément : Non
- Mountain view
- Mountain location
- River 5 km away
- Village 2 km away
Free of charge.
Leaving Samoëns, head for the main town, Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval.
The abbey is accessible via Place du Tilleul, which is on the left bank of the Giffre.